Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Cheese Stands Alone

"No man is man enough to not be unmanned by hitting their man parts"
- Kansas (after 6 beers)

Truer words were never spoken. And so it is that after placing third once again, we lose John Edwards from the Democratic race. I'm very sad. As much as I hate to admit it, in the politcal race between a woman, a black man and a middle aged, white southern male...I liked the middle aged, white southern male. I liked the guy who said, “I'd say if you live in the United States of America and you vote for George Bush, you've lost your mind.” Because that's EXACTLY how I felt/feel. After one failed attempt at accessing the White House, he threw his all into this election and I hate to see us left with two candidates who can't stop cat fighting long enough to say anything real. And his hair...oh his presidential hair. There's only been one other with hair as presidential as his...you know who I'm speaking of. You know. Sigh.

I think my biggest problem with Hilary isn't with Hilary herself...it's with her last name. I really don't want three decades of Bush - Clinton - Bush - Clinton. I don't want two families to run the country. That feels too much like a monarchy. Besides, I think Bill's been acting like a right little bitch lately and he needs to tone his shit talking down.

Perhaps I'm turning my back on my sex by not supporting Hilary, but honestly, except for a severe suit and coif...I don't see much of her that is still fe
minine. I think she's had to banish that side of her persona to truly become of "the guys". Only then could she be seen as a true contender. She's wandered away from the fold far enough that I don't feel the loss. It's a shame really. I think you can be a good politician and still feminine. Look at Madeline Albright. Shit...look at Condi. At least the bitch shops at Ferragamo.

I suppose now that Edwards is out of the running I'll turn my hopes toward Barak. His mother is from Kansas, after all...to have such progressive ideals coming from a state that tries to teach Creationism in schools...what's not to love.

I'm secretly proud of John McCain, though. You cannot keep
that guy down. He's a bit of an asshole...but a buoyant one.


(this is what The Face thinks of politics)


**Update**
I'm posting Sam's response to this post because it's what I would've said if I knew how to write.

I was a big enough nerdus as to email Edwards' campaign this morning to tell him that he hadn't run for nothing and had really kept issues of poverty and corporate greed right in the debate whereas it might never have been talked about at all. I don't see the other two candidates wanting to talk about these things too much. it might cut into their waxing lyrical on "change" and "a new way forward" without managing to articulate quite how.

I would love to see a woman president but only if she was the right person to do it. And I'm not sure, I'm not sure at all. She is so much the political animal and is not the unifier she tells us she is. Obama, I like. I reckon he is a man of integrity but he's even more vague on specifics than Clinton when you get down to both their policies.

I liked Edwards because for a long time now he's been laying out what his policies were, he has a tremendous history highlighting the chasm between rich and poor in this country, and while lacking a bit in the foreign policy department, is undoubtedly a clever man capable of learning on his feet - unlike the present dolt. Unfortunately with the chance of history being made with an African American or female president, all the oxygen was sucked out of the room and his campaign struggled. I'm betting he'll endorse Obama to shake the old order up a little.

I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see an Obama/Clinton ticket or vice versa, or an Obama/Edwards ticket, or even a Clinton/Edwards ticket but I'm guessing whoever gets the nomination will seek further afield than their running mates.

I really want McCain to beat Romney. Romney changes his positions too conveniently for my liking and I don't like the way he seems to be buying his way to the white House. He seems inflexible as a thinker, much too allied to corporate models and interests, too socially conservative and thinks that while religion requires freedom, that also freedom requires religion - what in hell was that all about?

I admire much about McCain but he too has been too willing to indulge in pandering to the base at the expense of his integrity. I could deal with him as a president though; with a Democratic congress looking set to stay that way, the balance would be there to curb his more conservative excesses should he have them.

McCain v Obama would leave the country with two relatively good choices and both stand a better chance of uniting left and right in moderation than either Clinton or Romney. God, I'll hate it of Romney gets the nomination.

Sorry for going on, but it is a very exciting old time right now, innit? I just wish there was the luxury of not having so much ride on it all.

11:05 PM


16 keep(s) me blogging:

Robert the Skeptic said...

Yeah, that was a big disappointment for me also. I really thought the guy would make a great president. I think the media made that choice for us... the news coverage was all about the Woman and the Black Man; it's all they could focus on. So that is all anyone who watches TV (which is all of Moron America) got to see.

But really, we had 8 years of Bush... how much worse than that could it get?

Anonymous said...

I was a big enough nerdus as to email Edwards' campaign this morning to tell him that he hadn't run for nothing and had really kept issues of poverty and corporate greed right in the debate whereas it might never have been talked about at all. I don't see the other two candidates wanting to talk about these things too much. it might cut into their waxing lyrical on "change" and "a new way forward" without managing to articulate quite how.

I would love to see a woman president but only if she was the right person to do it. And I'm not sure, I'm not sure at all. She is so much the political animal and is not the unifier she tells us she is. Obama, I like. I reckon he is a man of integrity but he's even more vague on specifics than Clinton when you get down to both their policies.

I liked Edwards because for a long time now he's been laying out what his policies were, he has a tremendous history highlighting the chasm between rich and poor in this country, and while lacking a bit in the foreign policy department, is undoubtedly a clever man capable of learning on his feet - unlike the present dolt. Unfortunately with the chance of history being made with an African American or female president, all the oxygen was sucked out of the room and his campaign struggled. I'm betting he'll endorse Obama to shake the old order up a little.

I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see an Obama/Clinton ticket or vice versa, or an Obama/Edwards ticket, or even a Clinton/Edwards ticket but I'm guessing whoever gets the nomination will seek further afield than their running mates.

I really want McCain to beat Romney. Romney changes his positions too conveniently for my liking and I don't like the way he seems to be buying his way to the white House. He seems inflexible as a thinker, much too allied to corporate models and interests, too socially conservative and thinks that while religion requires freedom, that also freedom requires religion - what in hell was that all about?

I admire much about McCain but he too has been too willing to indulge in pandering to the base at the expense of his integrity. I could deal with him as a president though; with a Democratic congress looking set to stay that way, the balance would be there to curb his more conservative excesses should he have them.

McCain v Obama would leave the country with two relatively good choices and both stand a better chance of uniting left and right in moderation than either Clinton or Romney. God, I'll hate it of Romney gets the nomination.

Sorry for going on, but it is a very exciting old time right now, innit? I just wish there was the luxury of not having so much ride on it all.

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell, I really did go on, didn't I? Shit - sorry - got carried away.

Gorilla Bananas said...

All the candidates left in contention are far, far better than the American people deserve. Look how fit and lean McCain and Obama are. And Hillary is the kind of female I'd like to have on my side in the jungle - those cool determined eyes would make a snake shiver. The first thing they should do is force their lard-ass nation to lose some weight.

kara said...

dad - that's an optimistic point of view, but i'm still sad.

sam - your response was beautiful...i think i'm going to add it to the post so everyone reads it.

goranas - so...um...are you calling me fat and undeserving?

Gorilla Bananas said...

Well you're in better shape than most of your countrymen, but don't think I haven't noticed how your butt is never in shot in the pictures you post. And you shouldn't vote for Barak, by the way, he's an Israeli dude.

The Future said...

Kara, I am surprised at your going on about not voting for Hillary due to some misguided need to support a female candidate. Since when are you interested in voting for anyone but the best candidate regardless of whether they're striped or polka-dotted?

I'm hopeful Edwards will get piked up as the VP component of the ticket regardless of who is nominated. Wouldn't it be nice to have him "in the wings" should a Kennedyesque situation occur compared to where we are today?

The Future said...

Make that picked up vs. piked up, I don't want that at all.

Jill said...

I agree with everyone else: if Edwards plays his cards right, he has a good chance of ending up with the VP nomination. I'm doubting a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket will materialize.

Mostly, I'm sick of listening to all this stuff and there's almost a year of it left. The Face is smart.

Rachel said...

I STILL haven't decided! Ugh!

I would never have believed it was possible for a child to be cuter than when a baby, but The Face proves it. Damn! If you have musical talent in your family, then I foresee 10 million screaming 12-year old girls in that boy's future.

kara said...

goranas - i'm allowed a spelling error here and there. as for my ass...i tend not to make it the focal point of any photography session...so this is as close as you get:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6835/1233/1600/karaalone.jpg

Now let me say that you better be as svelte as a grecian olympiad to be talkin' to me like that. punk.

future - Edwards won't do VP again...he's already said as much.

jill - yeah, he won't do it. and yes, the face IS smart. and adorable. and he loves me.

rachel - isn't he amazing? he can stop total strangers with that face.

froelica said...

But he has a "Tom Cruise smile". He can't back out now!

Anonymous said...

Golly - cheers for that toots. I think my flippen comment was longer that your post. How rude. Verbal diarrhea - chronic case. There's no help for it. All that anyone can hope for is a flat line on my bippy machine.

Mary Witzl said...

Obama/Edwards looks pretty good to me, but then I'd like world peace, my own kayak, and a decent publishing contract, too. At least in this election there are halfway decent choices. By the way, GB has pointed out that they're all pretty svelte, but I don't think we've had a super- sized president since Taft.

Personally, I find McCain a little scary: he is very pro-military and with him in charge, I can see no end to this war. But I heard him in an interview eight years ago; someone asked him what he would do if his teenage daughter were pregnant and wanted an abortion, and he said 'I think that would be her business' or something similar. And that really impressed me: it seemed an honest, straightforward answer, and a brave one from a Republican courting the conservative constituency.

Jahooni said...

Oh goodness gracious... isn't this fun fun fun. First of all I am with you girlfriend about Edwards.. my heart... sad.

Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush *Dumb Ass*, Hillary (NO NO NO NO)

It is a trying time for us all and I just pray that we as a nation make a smart choice on this shit!

AS FOR YOU MR. GORILLA MAN... how dare you call us fat! Okay some of "them" are but not US ALL! Don't you dare say this to me or Kara EVER AGAIN! Or I'll come over there to your jungle and kick your gorilla ass! Hey, maybe I should just eat bananas, is that how you stay so slim?

Unknown said...

"The Face" has obviously inherited my apathy towards politics, or politicians, rather. As long as his/her last name doesn't resemble shrubbery, I don't think I really care who wins. Anyone's better than who we've got now. And I do so hope the door hits him in the arse on the way out.